About applying for a petroleum wholesale licence
If you want to sell petroleum products to consumers for end use, you must apply for a wholesale licence from the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy.
The licence allows you to buy petroleum products in bulk (1 500 litres or more, per transaction of petroleum products) from a licensed manufacturer, and to sell it to end users.
The licence is valid for as long as your business operates.
What you should do
- Complete the form Application for wholesale licence, DMRE 38.
- Send the application form to the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy regional office.
- The Department will send you a letter stipulating that you must publish a notice of application in four newspapers.
- You must provide proof of the publication of the notice of application to the department.
- Once you have a licence, you must submit information on your business annually using the Wholesale licence annual information (Submission Form), DMRE 30.
How long does it take
You should receive a response within 90 days from the date when the Department received proof of publication of the notice of application.
How much does it cost
- R1 000
- R500 annual licence fee.
Forms to complete
Who to contact
Petroleum licensing regional contacts